In some families, parents are not always the best candidate to take care of their children. Some may suffer from health issues, are in legal trouble of some kind, or may even be deceased. In these cases, other adults in the family may step forward to care for the child, but to properly do so, must have certain rights and capabilities recognized by the law. To ensure this, they must be appointed the child’s guardian.

At VanHo Law, LLC, our team understands that guardianships can be a sensitive matter and always take an informed and thorough approach with our clients facing these issues. Those families that come to us can rest assured that their suitability as a guardian will compellingly put forth to the court and that the entire guardianship process will be handled with skill, candor, and respect.

Need to learn more about your guardianship options? Call our trusted Akron family lawyers at 330-653-8511 today.


In Ohio, the principles that guide the court’s decisions on guardianships are largely similar to those involved in child custody matters. The best interests of the child are carefully considered by a judge — along with the added considerations of the unavailability of child’s parents.

Best interests of a child considerations include:

  • The child’s ties to their current community (school, neighborhood, etc.)
  • The child’s relationship/access to other family members
  • The mental and physical health of the proposed guardians
  • The proposed guardian’s financial status
  • The child’s wishes (if they are old enough)

These are just few of the many considerations that can go into a guardianship ruling. To better anticipate these considerations and successfully navigate their entire appointment process, we invite you to call our firm today. We are ready to hear your story and ensure that your family gets the consideration it deserves before our legal system. Our firm is located in Akron, and proudly serves families throughout Summit County, Cuyahoga County, Medina County, Lake County, Geauga County, and Portage County.

Want to learn more about how we can assist you with your guardianship matter? Use our online form to request a free consultation today.